02 Sep WRITE A GREAT PICTURE BOOK
Posted at 22:50h in about writing
I enjoy reading picture books for the fun of it, the art, and to analyze what makes a good story.
I would love to master the craft of writing wonderful picture books that become beloved favorites of children.
From researching and reading the masters, I’ve learned that most of the factors below are in stories that stay in our hearts.
A good picture book:
- Offers a creative approach or imaginative take on something common.
- Has at least one engaging, fully formed character that grabs my heart.
- Has a theme that is woven in naturally.
- Has a plot that pulls me along.
- Flows in logical order.
- Strikes a universal cord that children and adults respond to.
- Uses vibrant language and natural dialogue.
- Feels good on the tongue to read—lyrical language, rhythm, rhyme, patterns, repetition.